Car Hire Montenegro: Rules, Tips, and What to Look Out For
Are you planning a trip to Montenegro and considering renting a car? Look no further! In this article, we’ll provide you with essential information about car hire in Montenegro, including road rules, tips, and things to look out for to make your journey as smooth and enjoyable as possible.
Road Rules in Montenegro
- Drive on the right-hand side of the road.
- Seatbelts are mandatory for all passengers.
- Children under the age of 12 must sit in the back seat, using appropriate child restraint systems.
- The legal blood alcohol limit is 0.03%. It is highly recommended to avoid drinking and driving.
- Speed limits: 50 km/h in urban areas, 80 km/h on open roads, and 120 km/h on motorways.
- Headlights must be switched on during the day from November 1st to March 31st.
- Talking on a mobile phone while driving is prohibited, except when using a hands-free device.
Tips for Car Hire in Montenegro
- Book in advance: To secure the best rates and vehicle selection, book your car hire Montenegro well ahead of your trip.
- Compare prices: Check multiple car rental companies to find the best deal for your needs.
- Choose the right car: Consider factors such as fuel efficiency, size, and luggage capacity when selecting a vehicle.
- Inspect the vehicle: Before driving off, inspect the car for any existing damage and ensure it’s documented in your rental agreement.
- Familiarize yourself with local traffic signs: Montenegro uses standard European traffic signs, but it’s always a good idea to familiarize yourself with them before setting off.
What to Look Out For
- Narrow and winding roads: Montenegro’s mountainous terrain often results in narrow and winding roads, so drive cautiously.
- Local driving habits: Montenegrin drivers may not always adhere to road rules, so be vigilant and maintain a safe distance from other vehicles.
- Toll roads: Montenegro has only one toll road – the Sozina Tunnel. Make sure you have cash or a credit card handy for the toll fee.
- Parking: In popular tourist destinations, parking can be scarce. Be prepared to search for a spot or park further away and walk to your destination.
- Border crossings: If you plan to visit neighboring countries, ensure your car hire agreement permits cross-border travel and be aware of any additional fees or insurance requirements.
In conclusion, car hire Montenegro is an excellent way to explore this beautiful country at your own pace. By following the rules, tips, and precautions mentioned above, you’ll have a safe and enjoyable journey. Happy driving!